Thursday, April 18, 2013

Review of "The Time Hunters" by Carl Ashmore

For my first official blog entry, I have decided to promote what I consider to be one of the best young adult book series in existence.  Yes, even better than "The Hunger Games."  At the time of this writing, three of the five books that are planned for this series have been released.  What follows are my reviews of each book to date:

The Time Hunters - Book One
Having read several time travel stories, I'm always skeptical when I read one that attempts to rewrite history or show that the past is not quite what we imagined. However, I think Carl Ashmore does a fabulous job of creating an alternative history (myth?) that is not only believable but engaging.

I'm definitely adding this book to my top ten list of favorite time travel books. "The Time Hunters" has some great characters (Edgar is my favorite) and plenty of action. I actually found this book to be a real page turner, which was a pleasant surprise considering it is young adult fiction.


The Time Hunters and the Box of Eternity
This series is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Carl Ashmore has once again done a fantastic job of creating a time travel adventure that is both interesting and fun.

In this story, Becky and her brother Joe get pulled into more time-traveling adventures while visiting their Uncle Percy. However, this time the danger is even greater as their nemisis, Emerson Drake, recruits none other than Jack the Ripper in his quest to be the first to find the Box of Eternity.

This book is a fun, easy read. Even though it's considered young adult fiction, this 40-something adult is really enjoying the series. I highly recommend "The Time Hunters" to readers of all ages. The only bad thing I can say about this series is that having to wait for each new book is torture.

The Time Hunters and the Spear of Fate

Carl Ashmore has done it again. In this third book of the Time Hunters series, Carl has created another fantastic adventure filled with action, intrigue, and a coterie of captivating characters. "Time Hunters and the Spear of Fate" introduces us to several of Uncle Percy's fellow time travelers as well as a new and very nasty villain. We also see the return of some old favorites, including one of my favorite characters from Book One (Edgar the Minotaur) who returns to play a pivotal role in this adventure.

In this third installment, Uncle Percy learns that his nemesis is after another of the five Eden Relics. As with the first two relics, our heroes attempt to find it first and prevent Emerson Drake and his evil entourage from getting their hands on it. Their search leads them to the lost city of Atlantis as well as Ancient Egypt. Joining their Uncle Percy once again are Becky and Joe Mellor. Although still teenagers, the Mellor children are growing up fast and they become much more involved in the action (and danger) that their latest quest brings.

Perhaps the thing I love best about the Time Hunter series is the way the author incorporates historical characters, locations and events within the story. I find myself googling these facts to see which ones are based in reality and which are fictional. More often than not, they are fact. For example, I had never heard of Aribert Heim. So naturally I went to the internet to see if this person (also known as Dr. Death) actually existed... and he did. Yet the author incorporates him into the book in such a way that you actually believe this could have been part of his untold life story.

Anyway, if you haven't read any of the Time Hunters books... WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!?!? These books are so entertaining, and such an easy read. If you love young adult fiction, page-turning adventure and/or time travel, you will love this series.

For more information about "The Time Hunters," visit http://carlashmoreauthor.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment